Sunday, April 29, 2018


Fort Lauderdale to home – April 28, 2018

I awoke a few minutes after 5 and we were just into the channel getting ready to turn and then back into our berth.  I watched for a few minutes and then went back to sleep until about 6:30.  I put away all the last minute things and then went to stand on my deck and take a few last pictures.  I then said good-bye to my room steward, Wayan.

The expedited group (those who can carry their own luggage off!) was called just before 7:30.  I decided to try and use up my last 20 minutes of internet time (and yes, it was still working ) until it was time to debark.  I was in group “Blue 1” because I was taking a HAL excursion and then transfer to the FLL airport.  It was the first group to be called after expedited at about 7:50. Since we were using the forward gangway, it was a quick ride down the elevator and off the ship.

When I arrived in the terminal it was easy to get a porter since I was one of the first off.  I ended up sharing the porter with Charles and Bea.  We all had Global Entry so all we did was hand the customs form to the officer and we were out of the terminal.  A quick right as we left the terminal and the FedEx trucks were waiting to relieve me of my three big bags and box.  Then a few steps more to get on the coach for the excursion.

Since my plane did not leave until 3:57, I decided an excursion to see some of Fort Lauderdale I had never seen was the way to kill a few hours.  I was very glad I did because the tour was much more enjoyable than sitting in the airport.  There were a few very familiar faces on the tour – Kathy and Mike (with whom I used to eat dinner), Dawn (in the knitting group and part of our yarn expedition in Singapore), Cynthia and Rob (Australians I got to know through Rodney and Marilyn – they had an 18-hour flight to Dubai then an 18-hour flight back to Australia), and Lynn (also from Australia with whom I played trivia a few times when team mates were not present).

We started by driving to the Riverwalk.  We walked through parts of it and our guide, Darren, told us about the early history of Fort Lauderdale.  Along the walk a very weird coincidence happened.  I was talking to Kathy and Mike about the blue case we had received as one of our pillow gifts.  I had left one of my locks for locking it but found it would not got through the openings on it.  I was a bit upset since it was the bag I was checking.  I know a determined thief can get into just about any bag but it makes me feel better to lock it anyway.  Mike said they had used a small lock that did fit and that maybe I could buy one in the airport.  He also mentioned that a zip tie would work but I did not have one.  We walked on and not two minutes later Mike came up and presented me with a zip tie.  He had found it as we were walking.  Talk about a strange coincidence!

After the walk we drove through parts of Fort Lauderdale and Las Olas (Spanish for “the waves”) Boulevard – known for its shops, galleries, and restaurants.  We then drove along the beach road.  It was a beautiful day and the beach was very busy.

Next was a ride on the “Jungle Queen”.  This was a 90-minute ride on a replica of an old-time paddle wheeler through the New River.  Fort Lauderdale is known as the “Venice of America” and we saw some of the homes and yachts of the “Rich and Famous” including Gloria Vanderbilt’s Johnny Weissmuller’s former home, the yacht Evel Kneivel supposedly lost in a poker game (to his accountant), Dave Thomas’ (which was inherited by his daughter Wendy after his death), Ron Howard’s yacht, and many others.  We also cruised into the harbor and turned around just after passing the Amsterdam which had not yet left for drydock.  It was a very enjoyable way to spend the morning and I might do the same thing again if I have extra time before a flight home.

Back on the bus we headed to the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport which was only a few minutes away.  There were a few stops for different airlines – mine was the second (jetBlue) – and then it continued to Miami airport.

I had not printed off a boarding pass on the ship but it was quick and easy in the airport.  It printed out my baggage label and boarding pass and I was on my way to security.  Since I have Global Entry, I have TSA pre-check and went right through – nobody was in front of me.

Since I hadn’t eaten anything and it was already after 1 pm, I needed to decide on something to eat.  I chose Steak and Shake and had a very good hamburger, fries, and a root beer.  By the time I ate slowly, reading my book, I only had about an hour left.

Loading was supposed to start at 3:22 but it was at least 10 minutes after that before boarding started.  I was in the last group (since I was at the front of the plane) and was the next to the last person on the plane.  Once we were settled in the captain made an announcement that there had been a fire in the dispatchers’ office in New York and it had to be evacuated.  He said it could be ten minutes or an hour.  Luckily, things resolved themselves and we only took off a few minutes late.  We made up time on the flight and landed at the original time.

Being near the front I was one of the first off.  As I came through the secure area my daughter and grandchildren were waiting to welcome me home.  It took a few minutes for my one small bag to appear on the carousel (it was the third one) and then we were off.

After not getting my full 8-hours of sleep for the last few nights, I was in bed before 11 pm!

Last views from my deck…

new terminal being built and crane that was lifting items onto the deck for drydock


cute card in the window of the bridge

Plywood (maybe?)

being placed on deck to protect it from the containers coming onboard

contractors coming onboard


Fort Lauderdale sightseeing…





Sandy Nininger, a local WWII hero







Las Olas Boulevard (above and below)



the beach

Ron Howard's yacht (Opie has done well!)



once the home of Rene Lacoste who was known as "the crocodile" during his
tennis days, hence the symbol on the polo shirts


on the grounds of billionaire Wayne Huizenga's estate
the gold is real 24-karat


looks a tad out of place with its neighbors
   the Stranahan House that was built as a trading post in 1901 and later remodeled as the
home of one of the first traders in the area, Frank Stranahan and his wife  
 
Evil Knievel's lost yacht

Aviva, the 223 foot yacht of business man, Joe Louis 
he uses it as his floating office
it is the largest yacht currently in Port Everglades

She looks familiar

goods on the Lido deck for drydock



yachts being sent to Europe for the summer season

under the 17th Street Causeway Bridge


known as "The White House" but has no ties with the presidency


the Jungle Queen



I plan to do a summary some time in the next week.

Smooth sailing until next time!

4 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog and am sorry to see the cruise come to an end. I will miss reading each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Never considered a WC before, but you made us reconsider. Maybe 2020. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it. When I did my first blog it was mainly as a travel diary for myself and to keep a few friends up-to-date. I never thought anyone else would be interested in reading it.

    ReplyDelete