Sunday, May 6, 2018


Some random final thoughts in no particular order…
I have been asked a number of times if I would book the same cabin again. Although it took me a while to get used to its quirky layout and lack of closet space, “my deck” was wonderful.  I don’t think my cabin 6102 or its neighbor 6100 should be classified as “DA” cabins, however, because of the lack of space.  My cabin was slightly larger than my neighbor but had the unusable space in the “hallway” entrance. Next door had more closets but no sofa.  All that being said, I would book it again if I were to choose a “DA”. ( I have a guarantee “F” for the 2020 GWV.)

I heard one person complain that there were not enough things to do on sea days.  What I think she really meant was that there were not enough things she wanted to do.  I usually found there were more things to do than I had time for.  I was impressed by all that was available.  Here is a partial list…
·       Lectures
·       Port talks
·       Bridge lessons
·       Watercolor lessons
·       Drawing class
·       Arts and Crafts
·       Tai chi
·       Water aerobics
·       Special group meetings (such as veterans, solos, etc.)
·       Sit and Be Fit
·       Qi Gong
·       America’s Test Kitchen
·       Sit, Knit, Needlework, and more
·       Shuffleboard
·       Pitch perfect washers
·       Walk a Mile
·       Bingo
·       Computer workshops
·       Texas Hold’em Tournaments
·       Golf putting, basketball, ring toss, Bocce ball challenges
·       Religious discussions
·       Name That Tune
·       Slot tournament
·       Movies
·       And my favorite, trivia!

Comparison of HAL and Cunard
The two lines are very similar from my experience.  I enjoyed my world voyages on both.  Here is a short list of areas where there is a significant difference in the two and which one does it or does it better.
HAL                                             
+Food (more to North American tastes)                 
+Arts and Crafts                                        
+Size of ship                                      
+Movies                                      

Cunard
+Lectures

+Formal nights (I like them)

+Dance Floor (Queens Lounge)

+Afternoon Tea
I would gladly do another world cruise on either but HAL (and my travel agency) give better perks so my next WV is booked on HAL.

With my early booking I received pick up and return of two pieces of luggage by FedEx.  This was fantastic as wrangling three large suitcases through airports and hotels is very difficult for me.  On the way home I paid to have my third suitcase (which I checked on the plane on the way to Fort Lauderdale) and the large box I bought onboard sent home.  Two of my suitcases and the box were delivered to my house on Wednesday and the third suitcase on Thursday.  I plan on sending my luggage in the future even if it is not included as a perk.
I have only a few things left to unpack in the third suitcase.  As I unpack the many items I purchased (or made) along the way, I am reminded of the great times I had, the fascinating ports we visited, and all the interesting people I met as I sailed around the world.  Getting back to reality is hard (Where is Wayan to make my bed and dust and tidy???) but it is now time to start planning for my next cruise.  In January 2019 I will be sailing on HAL’s smallest ship, the ms Prinsendam.  We will be sailing completely around South America and will spend over a week on the Amazon and 4 days along the coast of Antarctica.  Of all the ports, I have only been to two.  There are two solo cabins on Prinsendam and I will be in one which will be something new for me.  I will be writing a blog again.  If you have automatic notifications I will make a post on here as to the address of the new blog.  Otherwise, check back here in September as I plan to start the blog over the summer.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who has read my blog.  My first blog was  designed to be a travel diary for myself (I have always kept one but find I go into more detail in the blog) and for a few friends and family who wanted to keep up with me.  It constantly amazes me that people I have never met enjoy reading my blog.  Once again, a big thanks!
For now,
Smooth sailing until next time!

6 comments:

  1. kudos .. great World Cruise blog.. enjoyed it thanx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading along with you on the World Cruise and look forward to your next trip.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kathi:

    Good day. Thank you for taking the time, making the effort and spending the money to do your blog. Your blog is the only one that I have found which compares two cruise lines that I am considering for my around the world voyage. You used photos and words to share the events you experienced, foods you ate, and views you saw. Your photos and words were like a mosaic palette that made me desire to experience the world. I plan to retire in mid 2020 and take my first around the world voyage in 2021. God willing and health permitting. I look forward to experience the world.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again...thanks. I appreciate getting so many answers to trivia questions. With those in hand, I hope to do better on future HAL cruises and the trivia fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we will ever do a World cruise so I am living vicariously through you. We are platinum with Cunard and do one sailing with them per year in PG and one on NCL in the Haven. My husband no longer wants to fly. We live in Connecticut and Brooklyn and NYC is an easy ride for us. Can't wait for your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lost the comment I wrote, so let me try again and just say thank you for taking the time to write. As a blogger, I know this is no easy feat when traveling ... a labor of love for sure.

    ReplyDelete