Saturday, April 14, 2018


At Sea – April 13, 2018

What has been my normal sea day routine was changed a little this morning.

There was no water aerobics today so I had my normal breakfast (juice and a roll) and went to Sit and Stitch at about 9:40. The participants of today’s ceremony were rehearsing and having a great time.  I had planned to go to the King Neptune Ceremony and snap a few photos and then leave because I had been to three of these ceremonies before.  I wanted to see Amanda “put on trial” as she had mentioned yesterday that she was a polliwog and not looking forward to getting gunked up and kissing the fish.  Of course, she was in the next to the last group.  I didn’t have a very good view up on deck 9 overlooking the Lido Pool at first but as time went on people left and I was able to get better pictures.  I ended up staying for the whole ceremony.

I didn’t realize how hot it had been out on deck because there was a nice breeze blowing but once I was back inside I realized I was hot and sweaty.  The a/c in the Crow’s Nest was not that good (usually our corner is like an ice box) and it took me quite some time to cool down.

Left for trivia at 12:15 which was set for the unusual time of 12:30. We only had 8 correct and the winners had 14 (I think – I forgot to write it down).
1)What is the main constituent of an egg shell?
2)In computers, what does UPS stand for?
3)Who took over production of Rolls-Royce in 2003?
4)What was Chuck Berry’s signature move on stage?
5)Odontophobia is the fear of what?

Went directly to lunch after trivia (it was 1:00) and sat with Cyndi.  In crafts we made birthstone earrings with sterling silver findings and Swarovsky (sp?) crystals.  With my schedule back on track I sat by the empty pool (they were still cleaning it from this morning) and read and knitted until afternoon trivia.

Marilyn and Rodney were having drinks with friends so we had two people join us.  Part of their normal team were missing also.  We had 11 correct and the winning team had a perfect 15.
1)What word is on the label of every dry champagne?
2)Who was the first US poet to speak at a presidential inauguration?
3)What is Pentagon double-speak for “permanent pre-hostility”?
4)What is the last element alphabetically?
5)Who wrote To Kill A Mockingbird?

At 7pm it was time for what I have renamed “I Can’t Name That Tune” with Jamm in the Piano Bar.  I was able to get 8 correct.

We had a guest for dinner – Cass - who is acting as the librarian because Courtney had to go home with back problems.  Cass is from Australia and is usually a HAL assistant CD who was on vacation but agreed to work for the last few weeks of the WV.  She said that the antenna got “fried” and we are waiting for the parts and the technicians to install them are being flown in to repair (hopefully) the antenna.

I had a salad, a spring roll, butter chicken (spicy), and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Went to the show.  Jo Little was the entertainer and she sings and is a comic.  Enjoyed her show.

the (very ugly) fish that the polliwogs had to kiss

I heard that some people had "reserved" their seats at 6:30 am


the meringue mixture with which the polliwogs were doused (Amanda said it really smelled bad after sitting out in the sun before the ceremony)

King Neptune (Mark the Event Manager) and his Queen (Claire - one of the dancers_

the officers preparing to decide the fate of a group of polliwogs





thumbs up and the polliwogs had to sit and bake in the sun, thumbs down and they went into the pool

Emilio (guitarist from the band) and Jo Little


the birthstone earrings we made


Morning trivia…
1)calcium
2)uninterrupted power source
3)BMW
4)duckwalk
5)teeth

Afternoon trivia…
1)brut
2)Robert Frost
3)peace
4)zirconium
5)Harper Lee

Smooth sailing until next time!
Pictures to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment