Wednesday, April 25, 2018


San Juan, Puerto Rico – April 25, 2018

Since this is our first US port after foreign ports we had to go through immigration this morning (Customs will be in Fort Lauderdale).  Everyone was assigned a letter or a number except for those of us who were on excursions.  The process went very quickly and I only had to wait in line for a couple of minutes.  The officer scanned my passport and I was off to my tour group.

I was here in 2012 but did not do a tour just took the free trolley.  I was on the “San Juan Highlights” tour and learned a lot (he told us a lot about Maria and her aftermath) and saw some areas I don’t think were on the trolley route. 

The tour was over about noon and I decided to walk along the waterfront and look at the vendors and get some cash from an ATM.  Lynn (from Australia) and I walked together to the Walgreens and then did our own shopping.  It was a very busy day in San Juan because Carnival Magic and Harmony of the Seas (second largest cruise ship) were also in port with a combined 9,000-10,000 passengers.

I returned to the ship about 1 and went to the Lido for lunch and then swam in the Sea View Pool.  The water temperature was perfect and it was a beautiful day.  I stayed until just after 4 and watching the Carnival ship sail away.

When I returned to my cabin I saw a crane that had not been outside my cabin this morning so I went out on my deck to investigate.  It looks like we were loading some of the items for the drydock.  After trivia I checked again and the crates were being strapped down.

Only about 7 teams present for trivia and we were missing two members.  We had a couple play with us from another team that had not shown.  We had 13 and the winning team had 15.
1)Which artist painted a mustache and a goatee on the Mona Lisa?
2)The term “Siamese Twins” started with the birth of which conjoined twins?
3)What is the largest freshwater lake in the world?
4)From what city was the Titanic launched?
5)From what language did the word “ketchup” come?

My evening plans took a decided downturn as I was getting ready for dinner.  I nicked one of my varicose veins while shaving and could not stop the bleeding.  After 20 minutes of pressure on it I decided I needed to call for help.  After dripping blood getting to the phone, I unlocked my door and waited for help.  Wayan, my cabin steward came and then one of the nurses.  The bleeding still did not stop so I had to go to the medical center.  I stayed there almost an hour and eventually the bleeding stopped.  I was given an ice pack and told to elevate my leg this evening and put ice on for 20 minutes and then 20 off so I could not go to the dining room.  Room service again (glad I really like that chocolate cake 😊).

From my deck…







for the Sail-away addicts - no white truck, the line handlers came by boat
(this was taken from the back deck when Magic was leaving)



Street scenes…



these show the history of the island







big disparity in size among the cruise ships

we saw lots of buildings that still had blue tarps over the roof



???

???

beautiful beach - the guide said that different beaches on the island
have different color sand

a block away from the ocean you can see the water line on this wall

they make a delicious ice cream (I had a passion fruit and vanilla combo

18 foot thick walls in the old fortifications


St. John the Baptist


more devastation from the hurricane


Fort San Felipe del Morro

cemetery for local celebrities


interesting mural




mosaic house number



beautiful tiles on the step (sorry, they don't show up well in the picture)


vendors in the square

lots of birds

Columbus



along the waterfront


Trivia…
1)Marcel Duchamp
2)Chang and Ang
3)Lake Superior
4)Belfast
5)Chinese

Smooth sailing until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Kathi, so sorry about your "accident". Happy things are under control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange thing is I never felt anything. It wasn't until I saw a spray of red on the bathtub that I knew something was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary, but gives a heads up to those of us who need to be more careful.

      Delete