Friday, April 6, 2018


Cape Town, South Africa – April 5, 2018

After two long days of touring I was glad to have a day to do as I please.  Originally, I considered doing the HO-HO bus but since I had started collecting beautiful yarns from around the world, today became a day to buy yarn.

A knitting buddy and I were going to take a taxi to two yarn stores but she phoned me last night saying she had found two places to buy yarn in the Watershed near where the shuttle dropped us at the Victoria and Alfred Mall.

I was on the shuttle by 9:30 and arrived at the mall about 9:45.  I needed to walk through the mall and around a few buildings but eventually made it to the Watershed.  Inside were numerous booths selling all kinds of items from fine jewelry to kid’s toys.  I located the two booths with yarn (one had a great deal more than the other) both of which sell locally sourced products.

I started at the one with the most yarn and fell in love with all of it.  I managed to end up with only four different types of yarn after much perusal.  Then it was back to the other shop where I found some very pretty (and soft) yarn that I will use for a Christmas present.

Mission accomplished I walked around and looked at all of the booths.  Such a lot of beautiful items I wished I had three trunks instead of three suitcases to get items home!

Looked at some of the other buildings on the way back to the mall.  By then it was 12:30 and I was getting hungry.  Lots of places to eat – sidewalk cafes, bistros, food stands, etc.  What did I decide on?  Nostalgia.  Bit of a back story.  In 1986 my daughter and I went to Europe.  We drove around Britain for a couple of weeks and sometimes ended up at a fast food place named Wimpy (British competition for McDonalds, Burger King, etc).  I always got the fish and chips.  Over the years the Wimpys disappeared in Britain (I think they all may be gone now) but as I was heading back to the mall, there was a sign for Wimpy!  I had to eat there.  So, I had my usual fish and chips although they had a much expanded menu from my days in British Wimpys as well as table service.  The food tasted about the same.  I also enjoyed the free wifi.

After lunch it was time to head back to the shuttle because all-aboard time was 3 pm and we had to go through immigration.

Once back onboard I had my afternoon ice cream and knitted while sitting and looking at Table Mountain that had part of its tablecloth on (when the clouds cover the top they are called the “tablecloth”).

At 4 pm our fourth (and final!) muster drill started.  It lasted until about 4:40 when I headed to afternoon trivia (it had been two whole days without trivia!).  Only Rodney, Bonnie, and I played and we only had 13.5 out of 17.  Three teams tied with 15.
1)What creature has the world’s largest eyes?
2)What method was first used to send a message across the US in 1955?
3)What is the largest dinosaur discovered so far?
4)What breakfast dish is made mainly from Seville oranges?
5)Who became Queen of Denmark in 1972?

Sail-away was a bit delayed because the line handlers were tying up a cargo ship so I was able to get up on deck before we left.  The Station Band was playing by the Lido Pool and some were dancing.  Rodney, Marilyn, and I sat talking until the sun set.  Marilyn’s friend in Cape Town sent a couple of pictures of us leaving the harbor.

Finally back to the dining table (after the awful Lido dinner last night) tonight.  I had French onion soup, a Caesar salad, sweet and sour chicken and Strawberries Romanoff for dessert.

No show since I had to finish the blog from yesterday.
Where the shuttle dropped us off

on the waterfront





interior of the Watershed


booth where I bought most of my yarn

interesting bench

the very cute young lady who sold me some yarn



inside the food market


dog adoption


lunch stop

my fish and chips

We saw similar signs everywhere.  South Africa is having a major drought and hand sanitizer was being used in place of hand washing.

Three pictures of my yarn.  The ones that will become Christmas presents are not pictured

this is actually much more turquoise than pictured

and this is not quite as bright purple

dancing at sail-away


The Station Band

Final looks at Cape Town



Trivia…
1)giant squid
2)fax
3)brachiosaurus
4)marmalade (we did not considered marmalade a “dish” so we got it wrong)
5)Margrethe II (half point if you did not put “II”)

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment