Monday, April 2, 2018


At Sea – April 2, 2018

Since I did not go to bed until 1:45, I skipped water aerobics and slept until 9:15.  As has become my custom, I picked up juice and a roll and headed to Sit and Stitch.  Somewhere along the way I lost one of my knitting needles for my new project, a wool scarf.  I retraced my steps and still could not find it so I worked on another project.

Once again we were not having a great day in trivia.  We had 11 out of 15 and the winning team had 14.  This was the only trivia of the day because of the evening activities.
1)Which country has the most cattle?
2)What kind of weapon is a “fulchion”?
3)How many valves on a piccolo trumpet?
4)A “penny farthing” was a popular type of what?
5)What is the heaviest insect?

We had to pick up our passports for immigration tomorrow.  While I was at the front office I asked if anyone had turned in my knitting needle and they had so my scarf was back on track.

After lunch we made a necklace in arts and crafts.

I sat by the pool and read for a bit and then checked out yarn shops in Cape Town.  I mentioned I was going and had at least one person who also wanted to go on our third day.

At 4:30 the South African Springbok Festival started.  In the Ocean Bar, Piano Bar, Explorer’s Lounge and Crow’s Nest there was live music until 8 pm as well as free drinks.  There was not as much passing of hard liquor as the sail-away, you could still order it.  There were also lots of appetizers and they were still being passed at 8:00.  Between the appetizers and the alcohol, the dining room was fairly empty tonight.

I sat with Bev and her friend Mary until 7 when I went up to see what was happening in the Crow’s Nest.  It was not as busy as the Ocean Bar.  HAL brought on a South African group called Dolce Vita and they had people up and dancing the entire time.  They kept playing until almost 10 pm with short breaks.  I stopped by on my way back from dinner and their were a number of officers, dancers, dance hosts, and shop people dancing.

Cyndi did not make it to dinner so there were only six of us.  There was a reduced menu because of all the afternoon food.  I had fruit, a spring roll, prime rib, and ice cream for dessert. 

No show for me.

Tonight at a few minutes after 11 we will pass the southern point of Africa and go from the Indian Ocean to the Atlantic.

We arrive in Cape Town about 7 tomorrow morning.  I have an all-day tour to the Cape of Good Hope.
dinner decorations in the Lido

free flowing wine

part of the decorations that were all over deck 5

Vase on our dinner table

Dolce Vita

finished the amethyst bracelet from a few days ago

today's necklace


Trivia…
1)India
2)sword
3)3
4)bicycle
5)Goliath Beetle

Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kathi:

    Thank you for sharing your blog with the public. I have enjoyed it.

    Recently I decided to go on an around the world cruise and read your previous Cruise blog and I am reading your current HAL Cruise Blog.

    I have a quick question, why is it that most people who experience a HAL Around the World Cruise prefer HAL above all other Cruise lines? I ask because I plan to book an Around the World Cruise in 2020. Currently I am considering P&O rather than HAL. Although I prefer HAL Cruises and I am a 5 star Mariner. However the price for a single on HAL is higher than what I want to pay. Perhaps another question is 'what does HAL offer for the higher price comparatively'.

    Your response would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete