Monday, April 23, 2018


At Sea – April 23, 2018

The internet was down last night from at least 10 pm on.  I woke up just after 8 to check if the internet was back up so I could post my blog.  It was not, so I spent some time packing.  Just after 9 the internet came back up and I was able to post and only got bumped off once.

Went by to check the art work by the Artist in Residence (who also teaches the drawing classes).  His pen and ink drawings were made in his cabin and are just amazing.  His name is Benjamin Sack and it turns out he graduated from VCU.

As usual it was juice and a roll next and on to Sit and Stitch.  Our numbers seem to be less each day.  People must be packing.

Morning trivia gave us a respectable 13 but four teams tied with a perfect 15.
1)What does “AM” mean in radio terms?
2)What 1960s hit plays each morning in the movie Groundhog Day?
3)In what month did the Titanic sink?
4)How many stars on the flag of Cape Verde?
5)Which artist’s largest work is “The Night Watch”?

On my way to lunch I picked up my passport and had a copy of a pattern made for one of my knitting friends.

In Arts and Crafts there was a cake to thank Nancy and Mary for all their work.  Afterwards we made a pair of earrings.

We had 13 for afternoon trivia, also.  It was held at 3:30 because of the Mariners Cocktail Party which started at 4:15 for first sitting.  The winners had 16 out of 17.
1)In which country do the Kayan stretch their necks with metal rings?
2)What opening move in chess is named for a place in Italy?
3)Which superhero battles against the Green Goblin?
4)Which nursery rhyme character was rich on Monday and broke on Sunday?
5)Who was the subject of over 100 of Rembrandt’s paintings, drawings, and etchings?

Back to my cabin for some more packing.  I finished my first suitcase although it does not look like it has made much of a dent in my cabin!!!!  I also got my last bag of laundry together – the cut off is noon tomorrow.

As I was waiting for the long line for the party to go down I went by to speak with Ben (the artist).  I asked him if he was from Virginia since he had gone to VCU and he said he was from Leesburg.  He told me he knew people from Ashland.

At the Mariners Cocktail Party those who received 300, 500, and 700 medallions were called and had a picture taken with the captain and hotel manager.  Those of us with a lowly 100 day bronze medallion were not called but could have a picture.

One of the nurses, Sue from Carlisle in England, joined us for dinner.  It was our last Gala Night.  I had crab bisque, a salad, surf and turf, and apple strudel for dessert.

Tonight’s show was the last performance by the Amsterdam Singers and Dancers.
The last pillow gift was waiting in my cabin when I returned from the show.  A very nice (but heavy) plate showing our voyage.

We gain our last hour tonight and will be on Eastern Daylight Saving Time.

One more day at sea before San Juan.
with Henk and Captain Jonathan


the Yum Yum mand

Singers and Dancers

our final pillow gift - a plate with our route

today's earrings




Morning trivia…
1)amplitude modulation
2)I Got You Babe
3)April
4)10
5)Rembrandt

Afternoon trivia…
1)Myanmar
2)Sicilian
3)Spiderman
4)Solomon Grundy
5)his wife

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment