Thursday, March 15, 2018


Singapore – March 15, 2018

I was able to sleep a little later because we were not meeting until 10:00.  Peggy, Dawn, and I met in the Ocean Bar and headed out to get a taxi.  The ride was not very long but after we returned, and it was much cheaper, we think the driver purposely overcharged us.  He tried to tell us the store we were going to did not open until 11 (website said 10) and we could hire him to drive us around and point out the sights.  When we said no he wanted to drop us in the center of Chinatown and then we could walk back to the yarn store.  Again, we said no.  He finally dropped us off where we wanted to go but it cost almost twice as much as the ride back to the ship.

The shopping centre (People’s Park Centre) was a real Chinese one with local shops and not one of the malls that could be in any country.  We spent close to two hours looking at everything in the store.  Besides yarn they had fabric, beads, ribbons, thread, interesting notions, etc.  It was very popular with people constantly coming and going and a group sitting and working on their projects.

We looked in a few of the other interesting shops and then headed back to the ship.  I was back in my cabin by 1 pm.  I sat, read, knitted and drank a coke before heading back out at 1:40.

The shuttle bus left for the Millenium Walk Mall at 2 and we were there by 2:15. This was the same drop-off point as four years ago.  It is not a great mall.  It has about as many little restaurants as shops and most of the second floor is empty.  There are two much better malls across the street.  Millenium Walk, however, is easier to get in and out of for the shuttle buses so I guess that is why it is used. 

I walked through the mall and then went over to Suntec which is huge.  Still, neither one was as interesting as the Chinese mall from the morning.

Didn’t find any restaurants where I wanted to eat but after walking for 1 ¾ hours I was tired and hungry.  So, I went to “The Coffee Bean and Tea Co”.  They had a peach jasmine cold brewed tea that was great.  Since I had not had breakfast or lunch, I also had a delicious piece of cheesecake.  They also had fantastic high-speed wi-fi and I sat for 65 minutes eating, drinking and on the web.

I found one more souvenir and headed back to the shuttle.  I was way too tired to change for dinner so I ate in the Lido.  I spoke with a lady who had just returned from an overland tour to Angkor Wat.  She said it was very strenuous and she was exhausted.

I worked on the pictures for yesterday and then went to see the Cultural Show.  I usually sit in the balcony but the seats downstairs have tables and I needed to work some more on the blog while waiting for the show to begin.  Somebody decided it was a good idea to put chairs that sit higher in front of the sofas which are low.  A tall lady sat down in front of me and I could not see a thing (she was in a chair and I was on the sofa) so I had to move. 

The show was called “Instant Asia” and featured Malay, Chinese, and Indian dances.  They were the same group that performed on the QE four years ago.  Once again, they were very good.

Back to my cabin to work on my blog before sail-away which I watched from my deck.

We gain an hour of sleep tonight.

Anybody missing trivia as much as I am?

Sea day tomorrow.

People’s Park Centre…










Millenial Walk…
my breakfast and lunch

for those who have not been introduced to a "squatty potty" (note that this is a very nice one)

the not so busy mall

interesting selection of men's shoes


Cultural show…






From my deck…
a roll on-roll off ship - transports old cars to Japan and brings new ones

last view of Singapore

dropping lines

the terminal


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment