Saturday, March 3, 2018


Puerto Princesa, Philippines – March 3, 2018

The tour I chose for today was called “Puerto Princesa Highlights”.  Our first stop was at the Palawan Heritage Center which had current art works as well as artifacts from the history of the island. They also had excellent air conditioning! 😊

We then went to the Palawan Special Battalion WWII Museum.  This is a privately-owned museum and contains artifacts from the war as well as some earlier ones and even a pair of shoes once owned by Imelda Marcos.

After a ride in the country we arrived at the Iwahig Penal colony which houses all kinds of prisoners who work the land and get re-educated.  This is on the site of a former US army base.  Some of the inmates danced for us and then a few of the guards joined in for another dance.  We then had time to buy some souvenirs made by the prisoners.

Our last stop was for Plaza Cuartel and the Immaculate Conception Cathedral.  There was a Japanese garrison on the site of Plaza Cuartel and a POW camp.  A number of American prisoners-of-war were murdered nearby in 1944.

There were a few stalls by the ship and I bought a few more souvenirs before returning to the ship for a late lunch.

Only nine present for 3:30 trivia so we formed two groups.  Once again our team lost (14 out of 17 – winners had 16).
1)What is the official language of Latvia?
2)What do most lobsters and crayfish do with their shells when they have molted?
3)What name if often given to the Boeing 747?
4)What is the name of the first manned mission to land on the moon?
5)What was the US name for the first Gulf War?

Had my afternoon ice cream before 5:00 trivia.  Only Bonnie, Rodney, and I were present for our team.  We had 13 and two teams tied with 15 (out of 17).
1)Whose birthday does Bermuda celebrate on the second Monday in June?
2)In what city did the band U2 form?
3)Who was the Beatles’ bass guitarist?
4)What causes pollen to stick to bees?
5)In what city would you find the Rembrandt House Museum?

Went to the Seaview Pool area for sail-away.  Puerto Princesa had dancers and a large “Bon Voyage” sign as a send-off and in return we gave two series of toots.

For dinner I had a Caesar salad, short rib Beef Stroganoff, and a butterscotch sundae for dessert.  I skipped the show but am listening to it as I write.  He is doing Motown and sounds real good.

Sea day tomorrow.

Street scenes (sorry but the windows were very dirty so my pictures were not good)…
the guide called these "trikes"









an island bus










Palawan Heritage Center…

child's drawing with melted crayons









WWII Museum…











Iwahig Penal Colony…



incarcerated?









Plaza Cuartel…






Immaculate Conception Cathedral…






From my deck (it was open today while in port)…








From sail-away…












3:30 trivia…
1)Latvian
2)eat it
3)Jumbo jet
4)Apollo 11
5)Desert Storm

5:00 trivia…
1)Queen Elizabeth II
2)Dublin
3)Paul
4)electromagnetic charge
5)Amsterdam

Smooth sailing until next time!

4 comments:

  1. Kathi I am enjoying your blog. Other than occasionally dipping into your captain’s blog I have given up the other blogs I was following on your world cruise. To me you seem to represent the ordinary cruiser having a trip of a lifetime rather than the cynical reports from those who do it every year. Eep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail! I am having a fantastic time and I'm glad you can tell.

      Delete
  2. Kathi, I’ve really been enjoying reading your blog, especially as it’s been making me more excited about joining the Amsterdam later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to meeting you in person. I hope you will be at the Meet and Greet on the 10th!

    ReplyDelete