Thursday, February 1, 2018


At Sea – February 1, 2018

I went out on my deck just after midnight and the sky was clear so I had a good look at the moon.  Unfortunately, the eclipse was not until somewhere around 4:00 a.m. so I missed that but the moon on the ocean was beautiful.

Since I had not been swimming in two days, I was up early and in the pool by 8:40.  The seas are much calmer so the pool was as well.  Amanda (our instructor) cancelled yesterday’s water aerobics because of the rough seas.  Class was 9-9:30 so I stayed in after to get my hour in.  The water was very chilly this morning but with warmer temperatures and clear skies it will likely feel like bath water by this afternoon.

Picked up a muffin and juice to take back to my cabin while getting ready for Sit and Stitch.  Once again there were only a handful of people. I think a number of us will be visiting the one yarn shop that is still open near the pier.

Morning trivia started out very easy but we still came in one behind the winning team with a total of 11.
1)What animal is on the current New Zealand coat of arms?
2)Which musical made history by landing a helicopter on the stage?
3)Which sitcom had a record 117 Emmy nominations?
4)What was the character’s name before he became the Lone Ranger in the 1981 “The Legend of the Lone Ranger”?
5)What 3-letter word is Yiddish for smoked salmon?

Had lunch in the Lido about 1 pm.  I had the Chicken Cubana which was very good last time but I got the last piece in the pan and it was on the dry side today.

We made a New Zealand Paua shell pair of earrings and a card in arts and crafts.  Afterwards I sat in the sun and read for about an hour until it became too hot.

Afternoon trivia had some special guests.  The Knights and members of the singers and dancers joined in as the trivia had a theme – Dance.  We had 14 out of 18 while the winning team had 16.
1)What dance performance surface, used in studios, is made out of sheet vinyl?
2)Paso Doble (sp?) is associated with what?
3)In which country did the Tango originate?
4)What famous dance is performed by the New Zealand All Black Rugby team?
5)Lindy Hop, Jive, and Jitterbug are types of which dance style?

Lost a few dollars in the slot machines before coming back to my cabin to work on the blog and get ready for dinner.

Jamm had one of the Amsterdam singers, David, sing a few songs during his request hour.  For dinner I had fruit, a salad, Beef Wellington, and for dessert, Baked Alaska – something that I have not seen on the menu before.

The evening show was a good variety show with Hyperion Knight, a piano virtuoso, and Gary Arbuthnot, a flautist.

Tomorrow we are in Auckland.


the very bright midnight moon

if you look carefully you can see the moonlight on the sea

the card and earrings we made

Baked Alaska was very good

Hyperion Knight

Gary Arbuthnot


Morning trivia…
1)sheep
2)Miss Saigon
3)Cheers
4)John Reid
5)lox

Afternoon trivia…
1)Marley floor (“The Knights” were the only ones who knew the answer)
2)bullfighting
3)Argentina
4)Haka
5)Swing

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment