Saturday, February 10, 2018


Sydney, Australia – February 10, 2018

G’day from Down Under!

Once again my day did not start out as planned.  I had my alarm set for 6 am but I woke up about 5:50. I looked outside and, although it was still mostly dark, I could tell it was overcast and slightly foggy.  Since it wasn’t nice out and I could not get any good pictures upon sail-in, I rolled over and went back to sleep.  Finally got up about 7:15 as we were turning to dock.

We are at the White Bay Cruise Terminal, the less desirable location.  Ships that are too big to get under the bridge get to dock at Ocean Terminal which is in Circular Quay across from the Opera House (where the QE docked in 2014).  Although not the same as sitting on my balcony looking at the Opera House, I do have a nice view of the “Coat Hanger” bridge from my cabin.  I can even sit in my bathroom and see the bridge (TMI, maybe???).

Last time I was here we went through immigration on the ship before arriving.  Today we had to do it in the terminal.  Everyone was given a number or a letter (not sure of what the difference was).  Not knowing if I was going to get lunch, I decided to have some breakfast (again!!!).  Luckily, they still had a few “Opera House Rolls” (aka Panama Canal Rolls, Hong Kong Rolls, etc.) left in the Lido so I got one of the last ones.  The numbers and letters were being called fairly quickly and mine (#7) was called right in the middle of my second glass of orange juice.

When I got in the terminal I rode the elevator (I don’t do escalators) down with a man and his father who is in a wheel chair.  Thinking we were together, the three of us were directed to the handicapped line.  I got through very quickly.

Queued for the shuttle bus.  We look like we are close to Darling Harbour but the streets zig and zag and go up and down and it takes about 20 minutes.  Once in Darling Harbour it did not take much time to find an ATM and get some cash.

Originally, I had planned to take taxis to and from the places I wanted to go today and tomorrow but a couple of days ago I started thinking about taking the hop-on, hop off bus again.  Guesstimating the cost of a taxi, I decide for a few dollars more I could see the city and get some good pictures.  Last time I took the bus it was raining for most of the ride.

The pick-up point for the HOHO bus was directly behind the shuttle which made it very convenient.  My first stop was at The Rocks where Sydney was founded.  There is an arts and crafts market every Saturday and Sunday which has all kinds of Australian made products.  I picked up a few gifts.

Next, I set out to find a yarn store.  Pete (theinsidecabin.com – read his blog if you haven’t) had made all of us in the Sit and Stitch group a list of local stores.  The one I was looking for was called “The Alpaca Barn”.  It was on an out of the way street – really an alley.  They sold mainly alpaca products but did have a small selection of beautiful alpaca yarn.  The lady in the shop was very friendly and even taught me a new (to me) technique.  She also gave me two patterns.

By the time I finished shopping I was getting hungry so found a little café and had a ham, cheese, and tomato sandwich before setting out to walk along Circular Quay and pick up the HOHO bus again.

I sat on the upper deck in the sun for one complete circuit but it got very hot (high was in the mid-80s and all the clouds from this morning were gone) so I went down stairs where it was air conditioned for the second time around.  I had seen a little store that sold a little bit of everything so I got off and picked up a few things I was looking for.  A couple of doors away was a McDonald’s where I got a much-needed Coke. 

Picked up another bus and headed back to the shuttle at Darling Harbour.  Got back to the ship just before 6 pm and took some pictures from my deck before a cool shower and a change of clothes. 

There was an aboriginal show tonight so I had already told my dinner table that I would not be there.  Had a good steak and potatoes (no fruit because they had mucked it up with coconut which I do not like) and an ice cream cone for dessert.

Arrived really early to get a seat for the show.  I had my book, iPad, and knitting with me so I did not get bored.  The show featured the Diamu Aboriginal Dance and Didgeridoo.  I always thought the didgeridoo was the word in one of the more than 800 Aboriginal dialects but they had their own words for it.  Turns out Charles Darwin gave it that name based on the sound it made.

Came back to work on my blog and pictures and had some difficulties with the new memory card I had to start today – I already filled one up.  Finally got it to work.

Notice something missing ?  Correct – no trivia today.  I missed the only trivia at 5 pm.

I plan to take the HOHO bus (bought a 2-day pass for A$63 – senior rate) out to Bondi Beach tomorrow.  I haven’t been there since 1997.

trees by the Lido Pool covered to protect Australian plants

my alpaca yarn

the Aboriginal show

Sydney sights...
Darling Harbour (above and below)



Cadman's Cottage - oldest house in Sydney

part of the Rocks Market


cute tea shop with an afghan and knitting at each table


where I ate

Alpaca store











so close and yet so far

bridge climbers



the El-Alamein fountain with the hotel behind it where we stayed in 1997

Views from my deck

the ANZAC bridge

the Sydney Tower



Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment