Thursday, February 22, 2018


Fremantle, Australia – February 22, 2018

My tour this morning was called “Fremantle and Perth Highlights”.  We left just after 8:30.  Renata was the tour guide but was not among the better ones I have had.  There were a number of things that she did not know and had to have the bus driver explain.

Fremantle was founded in 1829 and is the main port of Western Australia where the Swan River empties into the Indian Ocean.  The oldest building is the Round House, which is not round (it is 12-sided) and not a house (it was a jail), and was one of the sights we saw before heading towards Perth.

We drove through some beautiful upscale neighborhoods before a stop at Kings Park and Botanic Gardens.  It has a view of downtown Perth across the Swan River.  Then a ride through the city before heading back with a stop at Cottesloe Beach, one of the most famous Perth beaches.  It was a very warm day and the beach looked inviting.

When we returned to Fremantle (known as Freo by the locals), the driver let a number of us off at the train station.  That saved the time of going back to the ship and taking the free shuttle provided by Fremantle or walking into town.

My main goal was to go to Yarns on Collie for round needles for my next pair of socks.  One of the Judys in Sit and Stitch is going to teach me how to knit socks from the toe up and I needed different needles.  OK, I didn’t get just needles – a couple of balls of yarn called out to me as well as a pattern book for scarves.

I walked around for about 45 minutes before getting the shuttle back to the ship.  Since I hadn’t had any lunch, I had a burger and fries from the Dive-In before 3:30 trivia.  None of my team was present so I played with Dorothy, Rosalie, and Candy.  We had 11 correct while the winning team had 15.
1)Who was the “King of Swing”?
2)What brand of car was seen for the first time in 1901?
3)Annie May Bullock became famous under what name?
4)What was the first charge card?
5)What does “TBH” mean in social media?

After trivia I read while having my afternoon ice cream.

All team members were present for 5:00 trivia (we sailed during trivia).  We were one off of the winning score of 14 (out of 17).
1)What is the sequel to “Little Women”?
2)Which saint’s keys appear on the personal coat of arms of the Pope?
3)How many gigabytes was the first iPod?
4)What is the fourth planet from the sun?
5)Which two classic Monopoly tokens can be worn?

Jeanette, Tom, Rodney, Marilyn, and I watched as we sailed away and passed where Rodney and Marilyn live just outside of Perth. We talked for over an hour and there was no land left in sight.

Worked on my photos before dinner.  All were present and I had fruit, beef brisket and a cherries jubilee sundae for dessert.  Liz brought the different kinds of yarn she purchased in Australia and taught me how to knit in the Continental style.  I have a lot of practicing to do to get proficient at it!

I skipped the show although I could hear the performer who played different instruments.  I believe I have mentioned that my cabin is right over the Queens Lounge.  It would not be good for someone who goes to bed early!

Three sea days coming up.
Sights of Fremantle and Perth...
the front of the railway station





the "Round House"

painting was for a festival but I could not hear the guide mention which one

the old Fremantle Prison


the only black swan I saw (it is the state symbol)









view of Perth from Kings Park



Kangaroos carrying briefcases



not a really good picture but the camels were surprising (they are not native but were brought to Australia because of the desert area)


perspective wall by a railway station








the Old Swan Brewery

lady in the lake

Cottesloe Beach





the town hall

interesting bench

Nice consideration by the city

car carrier from Japan



3:30 trivia…
1)Benny Goodman
2)Mercedes
3)Tina Turner
4)Diner’s Card
5)to be honest

5:00 trivia…
1)Good Wives
2)Saint Peter
3)5
4)Mars
5)top hat and shoe

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment