Tuesday, February 13, 2018


Hobart, Tasmania – February 13, 2018

Up and out by 9:30. In the terminal building there were volunteers giving out maps and directions.  I wanted to do the HOHO bus and I was given directions to the information centre.

Only had to wait a few minutes for the bus.  Over the 90 minute trip we went to both ends of Hobart.  I had seen one of the yarn stores I wanted to visit on the round-trip so I got on the next departing bus and got off at the third stop. 

I was a little disappointed in the shop (which had some wool and some woolen items) because almost all of the wool was imported.  I saw yarn from Peru, Germany, Italy, and even some from a company out of Seattle.  So, I decided to walk to the other shop. 

It was quite a walk and when I got there the shop had gone out of business.  Ugh!  I walked back to the Elizabeth Street Mall (a pedestrian zone).  They had mentioned on the bus that the Cat and Fiddle Arcade had a clock and on the hour the cat played the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon, and the dish ran away with the spoon.  I had to see it.  There was a little food court by the clock and it was going on 2 pm (I hadn’t had anything to eat all day) so I got some food and sat down to watch.  It went off just as described at 2 pm.  I took a video but it is too large for the blog so I will put in a still picture.  Bonus to all this was that there was free wifi!  I was finally able to catch up with my e-mail (it is very slow loading on the ship).

Right next to where I was sitting was “The Reject Shop” which is kind of like a Dollar General.  I needed a few more odds and ends so I looked through the store and found what I wanted.

I decided I was going to walk back to the first yarn store because I still needed some needles for the yarn I purchased in Sydney.  I was able to get my needles and also found some Australian yarn I had missed the first time.

By then it was almost 4 (and I had walked about 3 miles) so I headed back to the ship.  In the terminal there were a number of stalls so I spent about 45 minutes looking around.  There was one lady selling hand-made knitting needles and another selling hand-dyed alpaca, so I made a few more purchases.

Got back onboard just in time for 5 pm trivia.  Jeanette, Tom, and I played with another team that was missing some members.  We had 14 ½ and the winners had 16 (out of 18).
1)Who was the first voice of Mickey Mouse?
2)How many play at once on a cricket team?
3)What are the two landlocked countries in South America?
4)What is the capital of Canada?
5) In what year did the USSR cease to exist?

After trivia I went for my afternoon ice cream and sat by the Lido Pool to eat it.  While I was sitting there a server came by with a glass of sparkling wine.  The captain had said we were getting a glass at dinner on Wednesday because of the skipped port but they evidently decided to change it to Tuesday.

Today was Fat Tuesday so the dining room was decorated for Mardi Gras.  There were, of course, more hats (I asked people who have done the world cruise before about the hats but they seem to be a new thing this year.  Only four for dinner because the other four were on a late excursion.  About the time we were ready for dessert, the others returned and we heard all about their evening at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.  I had French onion soup, chicken fried steak, and watermelon sorbet.

No show tonight.

At sea tomorrow.

Hobart sights…




The clock





interesting sign

"Windeward Bound"


Salamanca Place









interesting design on the side of a building
















British Antarctic Expedition 1898


From my deck…
Australian Navy ship in port with us

Easy way to identify the nationality of the ship




Dinner...
Half the table with hats
Our steward, Aris in his Mardi Gras outfit

Asst. Steward Bakti

More yarn...
Sock Yarn

Hand-dyed Tasmanian wool


Trivia…
1)Walt Disney
2)11
3)Bolivia and Paraguay
4)Ottawa
5)1991

Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your blog! Can you tell me how much the ship is charging for Internet? Is it a package for the entire cruise? Or is it by the minute? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete