Saturday, February 17, 2018


Adelaide, Australia – February 17, 2018

When I was first investigating excursions I thought I might not take one since I had a city sightseeing tour and spent a night in Adelaide in 1997.  When the excursion booklet from my travel agency arrived, the visit to Hahndorf caught my eye and I booked it.  I’m glad I did because I thoroughly enjoyed my day.

We left promptly at 8:30 and drove from the port to downtown Adelaide where he had a short tour around.  We then went out of the city to Mount Lofty.  At 2100 feet, it gives a nice panoramic view of the city all the way to the coast.  We had a few minutes to look at the view check out the gift shop and get a snack if desired.

At about 10:30 we arrived in Hahndorf and two hours to wander on our own.  Hahndorf is Australia’s oldest surviving German settlement.  It was founded in 1839 by German Lutherans.  In traditional style it was built along one main street.  Today the homes and other buildings from the early settlement have been turned into restaurants, wine bars, art galleries, and shops. 

Since I had not had breakfast my first stop was at Otto’s Bakery where I bought a delicious donut that I ate as I walked around.  I enjoyed looking into many of the shops and also visited a museum which had a number of artifacts from the early days of the town.  I was even able to find two shops that sold wool! 

It took about an hour and a half to get back arriving just before 2 pm.  The terminal had free wi-fi so I spent an hour there even though it was very slow (slower than on the ship).

Originally, there was supposed to be a free shuttle bus into Adelaide but yesterday they announced because there is a train close by there would be no buses.  I heard the train was about $10 for a day pass.  Have not heard any feedback yet about how well received the $10 train was instead of the free bus.

I had originally planned to grab a late lunch and then swim but when I got to the Lido deck the pool was still empty so that nixed that part of my plan.  The Dive-In, salad bar, and made-to-order sandwich bar stays open after the rest of the Lido closes down at 2 pm, so I got a sandwich and some chips.

Sat by the (empty)pool in the sun and knitted and read for awhile before heading to trivia.  Most people were not present and the only other teammate of mine present was Bonnie.  We joined Dorothy and Rosalie to make a total of 7 teams playing.  We won with 22 out of 22!
1)What is the ph of water?
2)How many lines in a sonnet?
3)How many tentacles does a squid have?
4)What is the Oscar winning theme song from Breakfast at Tiffany’s?
5)How many countries in South America?

Sat by the Lido pool again until time to get ready for dinner.  All present and we discussed what everyone did today.  For dinner I had fruit, a salad, barbecue pork ribs and apple crumble tart.

No show tonight (all aboard was not until 10:30).  I was out on my deck watching the sail-away.

Sea day tomorrow and we gain another half hour tonight.

On the road…

it's getting close to harvest time so they have covered the grape vines to protect them from birds









Mount Lofty…



Hahndorf…







interesting art















At the museum…

an Australian possum



a handmade washing machine



it is believed that this spinning wheel came over with the original settlers in 1839 and may date back to the 1700s

From my deck…
vehicles imported from Japan (the last automaker in Australia [GM Holden] closed about 4 months ago)


CMV Astor leaving

last passengers onboard

dropping the lines

More yarn…
more alpaca
hand-dyed sock yarn (the color is called "Great Barrier Reed")


Trivia…
1)7
2)14
3)10
4)Moon River
5)12 – colonies did not count (The bonus was ½ point to name them plus an extra point for putting them in alphabetical order.)

Smooth sailing until next time!

2 comments: