Monday, February 5, 2018


At Sea – February 5, 2018

Today was Super Bowl Monday.  Not a typo, we are 18 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.  Super Bowl LII was broadcast over the cabin TV or you could watch in the Queen’s Lounge on the large screen.  There was a buffet and the Queen’s Lounge was decorated for the event.  There was also a special package that you could purchase giving you front row seats and unlimited beverages as well as food service to your seat.  I heard that this cost $75 per person.  The festivities began at noon and there was a noticeable absence of people around the ship in the early afternoon.  Needless to say, I was not one of those watching the game.

I slept in again and skipped water aerobics.  Went to Sit and Stitch and some people brought the wool they purchased in New Zealand. There were only 5 of us.

Trivia was earlier than usual at 11 am because of the game.  We had 10 correct and the winners had 11.
1)Where were the Summer Olympics held in 1980?
2)What did the crocodile swallow in Peter Pan?
3)What is the atomic number for lead?
4)In what city is the Blue Mosque?
5)What is the fastest fish in the sea?

I tried the hot dog from the Dive-In which was OK but I won’t get it with cheese again (the cheese wasn’t very good today).  I finished my book and took it to the paperback exchange and started a new one while waiting for arts and crafts.  There were only about half the usual number of people at arts and crafts.  We were supposed to make a possum fur brooch but Nancy did not have all of the fixings so we made a Southern Cross zipper pull. She did have a possum pelt for us to feel.

Since I had not gone to water aerobics, I spent 45 minutes in the pool.  The air temperature was only about 65 so the pool water was a bit chilly.  After swimming I sat in the sun for another 45 minutes before getting ready for afternoon trivia.

Once again we were the runner up team with 15 out of 17.  The winners had 16.
1)Who was the first golfer to win the British Open, US Open, and Masters in one year?
2)Which nation is home to the largest desert in the Western Hemisphere?
3)Which British university has the oldest botanical garden dating to the 16th century?
4)What does the field of proteomics attempt to analyze?
5)The Berlin Wall was opened in what month and year? (Bonus worth 2 points)

I had finished my second scarf during Sit and Stitch so I started on my second hat while watching the ocean by the Lido Pool.

Only six of us for dinner because Kathy and Mike were at the Captain’s Dinner.  I had fruit, a lamb kebab, the fish and chips, and a berry crisp for dessert.

The show was a mime/magician/comedian that I passed on since I have an all day excursion tomorrow and needed to get to bed early (before midnight!!!).

Dunedin tomorrow.

The Maori Ambassadors taught an action song.  No worries - I did not sing, just took a picture!

Wait a minute - yesterday was Sunday!
Entrance to the Queen's Lounge

Servers wore football hats and referee aprons.




Paper plates for the buffet


the possum pelt - very soft

Southern Cross zipper pull
Fish and chips at dinner


Valentine's inspired flowers have been appearing around the ship


Morning trivia…
1)Moscow
2)clock
3)82
4)Istanbul
5)sailfish

Afternoon trivia…
1)Ben Hogan
2)Argentina
3)Oxford
4)proteins
5)November 1989

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment