Wednesday, February 7, 2018


Scenic Cruising – February 7, 2018

Today we cruised through Fiordland National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  We started at 8 am in Dusky Sound.  It was very windy out on my deck (I was watching from the comfort of my bed) and the sky was overcast so I had no desire to get up to see it.  Rolled over and went back to sleep until 9.

I went to Sit and Stitch but was the only one until about 10:30 when Peggy and Dawn joined me.  There was supposed to be hot chocolate out on my deck at 11:00  when we were entering Doubtful Sound.  By then the sky had cleared up but it was still windy and cool (60-ish) but I never saw any hot chocolate so I only stayed out about 20 minutes before heading to morning trivia.

We had six playing but were only able to get 9 correct.  The winning team had 12.
1)What common household item invented by Hamilton Smith can also be found on this ship?
2)What was the first toy advertised on TV?
3)Wake, kettle, and committee can be used to describe a group of what birds?
4)What is the only type of fruit that has its seeds on the outside?
5)What is the atomic number of carbon?


Since I had not processed my pictures (chosen, cropped, and resized) from yesterday, I spent about an hour before lunch taking care of that.  After lunch I went to the library to get the blog up.

A little after 3 pm we entered Milford Sound the most spectacular of the three.  I stood out on my deck which was very crowded.  The only space available was on the starboard side where the view was not as spectacular but I figured I could see the other side on the way out.  Unfortunately, when we turned the wind made it hard to even stand up.  I gave up my idea and worked my way back to the port side (gripping the railing most of the way) and inside. 

Before afternoon trivia I worked on my pictures for today.  All six of us played but we only had 13 and the winning team had a perfect 18.
1)Who was the first female Native American on US currency?
2)What military alliance was formed in response to NATO?
3)What is Canada’s largest inland sea?
4)According to the FDA, which is the only fish to produce real caviar?
5)Which hand holds the hammer in the Arm and Hammer logo?

The team sat and talked for over an hour after trivia was over.

All present for dinner.  I had tomato mozzarella, meat loaf, and fruit with sorbet.  I hadn’t tried meatloaf in something like 50 years and didn’t like it then.  I thought my tastes might have changed but I still don’t care for it.

Fiona Pears, a violinist, was on the program tonight.  She was very good.

We gain another hour tonight and have another sea day.
Doubtful Sound...





Milford Sound...

What are all these people doing on my deck???




Lots of small sightseeing boats in the sound...




And another large ship...

Norwegian Jewel's pilot boat


part of the small community at the end of the sound




Morning trivia…
1)washing machine
2)Mr. Potato Head
3)vultures
4)strawberry
5)6

Afternoon trivia…
1)Pocahontas
2)Warsaw Pact
3)Hudson Bay
4)sturgeon
5)right


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment