Friday, February 16, 2018


Kangaroo Island, Australia – February 16, 2018

I did not sleep well last night because my cabin was so cold.  (Men are fixing it as I type this).  The captain announced (in the cabins, too) that we would make it to Kangaroo Island a little earlier than the previously announced noontime. He also announced that after leaving Kangaroo Island we would sail to Adelaide and dock tonight although no one can get off until tomorrow morning.  There is a container ship scheduled to arrive tomorrow that would have held us up so the port authorities let us dock tonight.

We also received a note that the visa requirements for Sri Lanka and Mozambique have changed.  Before you did not need a visa for Sri Lanka but that was changed in January.  Now the visa is $25.  Mozambique has increased the cost of their visa to $75.  Both of these will be obtained by the ship and the cost added to your onboard account.

Decided I was hungry so went to the Lido at 10:00 for breakfast.  They had already closed in preparation for an early lunch since so many people were getting off to visit the island.  I was able to get a large glass of orange juice.

Trivia was moved up to 10 am and there were only a few teams playing.  I was by myself until question 5 and then Bonnie joined me.  We had 9 and the winning team had a perfect 17.
1)In English, what is the only anagram for “teaching”?
2)What does “Sophia” mean in Greek?
3)What does the word “zeitgeist” mean?
4)Which 1972 musical won 8 Oscars but not Best Picture?
5)How much does a liter of water weigh in kilograms?

Grabbed a quick early lunch before my tour.  The Lido was decorated for Chinese New Year.

Although my meeting time for my tour, “Kangaroo Island Sights” was 12:15 we did not get off until about 12:30.  All of a sudden the swells had started and the tenders were bobbing all around.  Loading the tender I was on was very slow.  We finally were off on the bus about 1:15.

The first stop was at the Cape Willoughby Conservation Park where the first lighthouse in South Australia was erected in 1853. 

Our longest stop was in the town of Kingscote, the largest township on the island.  It is on Napean Bay.  I got a pastry and a coke during our stop.  Reeves Point was next which is where the first official European settlement in South Australia took place. Last stop was at Pennington Bay.  I was on the last passenger tender back to the ship.

I watched a little of the sail-away from my deck then got ready for dinner.

I played Name That Tune with Helen (from our CC roll call).  It was extremely hard and we were pleased to be able to get 6 out of 15 (all but one was a guess).

The dinner menu had a number of Chinese dishes.  I had the pot stickers, a salad, sweet and sour pork, and fruit with pineapple sorbet for dessert.

Adelaide tomorrow and I have an early (8:15) tour.

Lido decorations for Chinese New Year



Although we saw a number of kangaroos these are the only two I could photograph

the land on the left is Kangaroo Island - on the right is the mainland


the oldest lighthouse

main street in Kingscote


cormorants




Mulberry tree planted in 1836


Pennington Bay 



Frenchmen's Rock

Amsterdam on the rocks?


ferry to the mainland




Trivia…
1)cheating
2)divine wisdom
3)spirit of the times
4)Cabaret
5)1 kg

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment