Saturday, January 20, 2018


Taiohae, Nuku Hiva – January 19, 2018

Luckily, I had decided that today I was going to be on the “No Plan” plan because we had some issues that changed our schedule.  I woke up around 5 to pull up my shades and there was a lady out on my deck watching for the sunrise apparently.  Too early for me!  Turned over and went back to sleep and was awakened around 8:30 with an announcement that we had been cleared and the first tenders were available to go to shore – they called the first few blue tickets.  Went back to sleep again and awoke around 9:30 surprised that I had not heard any more tender numbers called.  It was not for almost another hour before the captain announced (even in the staterooms) that one tender had a burned out starter, another had a water cooling issue, and a third (we have only 4) still had slight damage from Panama.  They were still calling blue numbers in the single digits at that time. 

I started considering not even bothering to go to shore.  I was here on the South Pacific cruise I did in 2016 and had taken a tour which covered all of the sights there are to see.  I went out on my deck (they have replaced the teak [fake teak?] railing around the deck that they took off last week) and took some pictures.

Last night I had been feeling around in my safe (it is up too high for me to look inside it) and found a credit card from a previous occupant of my cabin so my first stop was to the front office to turn it in.  Although I am sure the owner has already cancelled it, I think he would be happy to know that it was not stolen and where it actually was.

It was then time for morning trivia.  Marge (who played one game with us yesterday) joined Rodney, Marilyn, and me.  Luckily, Marilyn is starting to feel better.  We had 11 correct and the winning team (there were only six teams) had 13 out of 17.
1)What is the largest city to connect two continents?
2)How many years is an eon in geology?
3)Who was the first US President to declare war?
4)In publishing for what does “POD” stand?
5)What was the original color associated with St. Patrick’s Day?

I went up to the Lido dome where they were passing out tender tickets to get one although I was still not 100% certain I was going to get off the ship.  I then went back to my cabin to work on my blog.  My number was called around 12:30 so I decided to go ashore.

Everything seemed to be much the same as two years ago.  I looked at the crafts (bought nothing) and took some pictures before returning to the ship.

After changing into my swimsuit I had lunch from the Dive-In and then swam (65 minutes total) and sat in the sun until after 4 pm when I returned to change for trivia.

Only three of us playing trivia.  Jeanette is once again not feeling well.  We had 10 correct (out of 17) and the winners had 16.
1)A tandoor is a type of ____.
2)Which planet has the longest day?
3)What is the name of Aladdin’s monkey in the Disney movie?
4)Which country has the most volcanoes?
5)In which month is Earth closest to the Sun?

The sail-away party was by the Sea View Pool at 5:30 (although we did not actually sail until 6).  Wasn’t much going on at the “party” so I ended up watching from my deck.

Jamm was having a “Name That Musical” Trivia at 7 pm.  I played by myself and only had 7 correct.

Only five of us for dinner because Kathy and Mike were going to dinner with the hosts from the travel agency in the Pinnacle Grill.  I had a shrimp salad, Beef short ribs, and fruit with a scoop of watermelon sorbet for dessert.

I skipped the evening show which was a variety show with two of the performers who have been on before.

We gain another half hour tonight.

The newly replaced railing on my deck
A view of Taiohae from the ship



Welcome to the island



Beautiful plants on the island
I saw three dogs that were all very thin
Lots of fresh fruits for sale

Not a good swimming beach although it looks very nice
Don't see many public phones
The crafts market

The above two pictures show some of the crafts for sale
Some kind of an animal skin for sale

The young men liked rowing their outrigger in the wake of the tender


A beautiful sunset at sail-away

Morning trivia…

1)Istanbul
2)a billion
3)James Madison
4)print on demand
5)blue

Evening trivia…

1)oven
2)Venus
3)Abu
4)Indonesia
5)January

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment