Thursday, January 18, 2018


At Sea – January 15, 2018

Aacck!  What is happening to me?  I had breakfast again today!  I got up at 8 because there was a Polynesian Fiber bracelet making class.  Last one of these filled up quickly so I wanted to get there a half hour early to get a space.  I stopped into the Lido and got some orange juice and a roll on the way.

It took about 30 minutes to complete the bracelet (we had used the same technique making a bracelet on the 2016 Westerdam cruise).  I then went to Sit and Stitch (only about 8 present – the time is competing with a location lecture).

We had another dismal showing at morning trivia. Rodney had talked with Hamish (CD) who said that the morning team trivia was harder than the afternoon trivia.  The one good part was that our team member, Jeannette, who has had the flu, was well enough to join the team again.  We had 6 out of 15 correct and the winning team had 12.

1)For what does the “WD” in WD-40 stand?
2)How old was Martin Luther King, Jr. when he won the Nobel Peace Prize?
3)Who was King Lear’s favorite daughter?
4)Which was the first country to the South Pole?
5)The praying mantis is the only insect to have only one of what?

During the Captain’s Dinner the other night there was a medical emergency announcement.  I have now heard from a number of different people that, unfortunately, the person involved passed away from a heart attack.  This person was someone on our Cruise Critic roll call.  Prayers to the family.

I tried the made-to-order pasta in the Lido and it was very good.  Sat with Cyndi as we waited for arts and crafts.  Today we made a glass cabochon World Cruise map necklace.  It had to dry longer than I had the time (due to early trivia) so I will finish it tomorrow.

We did a little better with afternoon trivia (which was held at 3:00 instead of 5:00 because of the change in the show schedule due to the ball this evening).  We had 12 out of 17 and the winning team had all 17.

1)What color rose symbolized purity?
2)What color is the General Lee in the Dukes of Hazzard?
3)What color is wasabi?
4)Which US medal was created in 1932 and reads “for military merit”?
5)What Chinese river was named due to the color of its silt?

Since trivia was early I had plenty of time to swim.  Considering we crossed the equator (it’s summertime!) on Sunday at 10:21 am, it has been amazingly cool.  Our high temps have been in the low 70s.  Today was the first day that the pool water was not the temperature of bath water.  I swam for about an hour (had the pool to myself most of the time) and read for about a half hour.

Tonight Jamm was playing some of the hits from Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals and I listened before dinner.

Since this was a Gala Night, the dining room was decorated in silver and black and there was live music being played.  We had another hosted table, this time with the lady in charge of Human Resources (I did not catch her name – maybe Julie???).  I had shrimp cocktail and crab legs and the wine provided by the officer.  Dessert was ice cream.

The Black and Silver Masked Ball was held in the Queens Lounge.  I stopped by for a few minutes but the place was packed so I called it an evening at about 10:15.

We gain another hour tonight.


Above three pictures from the Polynesian bracelet making class 




Working on the LRAD 1000 (??) in front of my cabin
Dining table decorated with masks for the Ball for everyone


Special Gala Dinner Menu

Views of the Masked Ball


Tonight's pillow gift was a game


Morning trivia…
1)water displacement
2)35
3)Cordelia
4)Norway
5)ear

Afternoon trivia…
1)white
2)orange
3)green
4)Purple Heart
5)Yellow River


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment