Sunday, November 5, 2017

ms Amsterdam

The Amsterdam is the oldest and the smallest ship I have been on in twenty years.  I am most familiar with ships that hold about 2000 people and are about 95,000 tons although I have been on short cruises on larger ships.  Many people love the smaller ships much better than the larger ones.  I don't think I would care for the 6000 passenger ships.  We'll see what I think about a smaller one.



ms Amsterdam

Information about the Amsterdam --
  • Built in 2000
  • Tonnage 62753
  • Length 781 feet
  • Occupancy 1380
  • Crew 600
  • Godmother - Janet Lanterman 
  • Flag - Netherlands

Some people like to save a few dollars and book a "guarantee".  This means that you will get at least the category you pay for but might be put in a higher one.  However, you may be given a cabin anywhere on the ship including some less than desirable locations.  I chose my cabin very carefully.  Almost all of the oceanview cabins have the bed right under the window.  I had a cabin like that on my Canada/New England cruise on Liberty of the Seas.  To look out you the window I had to either stand at the end of the bed, kneel on the bed (not possible with my arthritic knees), or lean over (can't do that for long).  Amsterdam has two front facing cabins on deck 6.  I have had front facing cabins twice before and really like them.  So, I chose cabin 6102 the larger of the two front facing cabins.  I've read that you can sometimes hear noise from the Queen's Lounge Showroom which is below the cabin.  However, since I am a night owl and the shows are usually over by 11 pm, it shouldn't bother me.  The cabin has two front facing windows and an outside deck in front of it (no, you can't see in).  I plan on using this deck as a stand-in for having my own balcony.  Not quite as good but only a few steps away from my door and tens of thousands of dollars cheaper! Once I am aboard I will post pictures of my cabin.

Smooth sailing until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment