Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Cancelled Ports

On a cruise you are not guaranteed to go to all of the ports on the original itinerary.  On my 2014 WV we were supposed to have two ports in Egypt but because of the political upheaval there they were cancelled and we went to Israel instead.  (I was quite glad about that because I had been to Egypt but not Israel.)

Sometimes ports are cancelled because of weather.  On my South Pacific cruise in 2016 we had two ports cancelled due to rough seas.  Both of these were places where you have to get off the ship onto a tender that will take you to the port.

We just had our first port cancelled.  We were supposed to go to Madagascar (I was really looking forward to seeing the lemurs) but there is an outbreak of pneumonic plague there and HAL decided not to take any chances and replaced it with Reunion Island.  This is a very small island to the east of Madagascar.  It is the place where the first debris of Malaysia Flight 370 was found.

We have at least ten ports that require tenders so the number of cancelled ports may increase.  Also, our last port is San Juan, Puerto Rico.  As slow as things are going there they may not be ready for cruise ships by then.

Smooth sailing until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. We did the 180-day RTW on Oceania in 2018. No immediate plans for a repeat, but I enjoy tagging along with others anyway. Interesting about Madagascar. We have a port of call scheduled there in February 2018 ... no word from the cruiseline about canceling/replacing as yet. But I will plan accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you make it to Madagascar. It was one port that I was especially looking forward to - I really wanted to see the lemurs. Oh well, it is a good excuse to take another cruise!

    ReplyDelete